Create a place of reserved minimalism by including sleek pieces in calm colour palettes. A masculine touch can give your bedroom an elevated aesthetic with a modern feel.
We chatted to Adri Van Zyl of Atelier Interiors to get expert advice on how you can turn your bedroom and home into a sophisticated yet simple space.
Stick to calmer palettes and furniture pieces that appease your sensibilities. You can always bring in depth with interesting textiles and scents.
1. Jewel tones are huge right now, especially in velvet.
Think ruby-red, emerald-green, sapphire-blue and, of course, rose-quartz pink.
2. A new rug can completely transform a room.
(Who needs to lie on the bed when you have a silk rug?)
3. Make a custom headboard.
Big features are easy to DIY and you can change the fabric often.
4. Clever use of storage space and good circulation are key.
As a general rule, place your bed against the middle of the wall, facing the door. Consider furniture pieces carefully. Storage ottomans, slide-out bed bases and good shelving can all revolutionise a small space.
5. Motorised block-out blinds are a game-changer. We’re still big fans
We’re still big fans of underfloor heating and heated towel rails if you have an en suite – set them on a timer for efficiency. That being said, there is still something extremely romantic about a vintage fan whirring above you on a hot summer’s night.
6. Place something sentimental on the nightstand – an old portrait, a significant ornament, a portrait of your kids – something to remind you of what is important when you start each day.