There’s nothing quite like the taste of a cold gin & tonic on a warm Summer’s day, or any other day for that matter. Local gin production has been on a steady rise for the past two years as more and more exciting brands add to the roster of this trendy beverage. With a fine mix of indigenous plants and fynbos, homegrown gin is unlike anything else you’ll find in the world.
Here are 7 local brands propelling the crafting of this en-trend libation
1.Musgrave Gin – Made from an infusion of 11 botanicals Musgrave is aromatic with Cardamom, African Ginger and grains, a taste that encompasses the exoticness of the African content with a very interesting historical narrative.
2. Inverroche – A fynbos flavour made from the finest indigenous flora that comes in Classic, Verdant and Amber.
3. Cape Town Gin and Spirits Co – comes in two classic flavours; classic Dry and Cape Town Rooibos Red with strong Juniper and rooibos flavours.
4. Bloedlemoen Gin – An intricate infusion that contains juniper, coriander, angelica root, liquorice root, cassia, nutmeg, grains of paradise, blood orange and sweet orange peel.
5. Triple Three – This company prides itself on its distillery process with flavours: juniper berries, citrus and African Botanicals to create a taste that is unique with a distinctly local twist.
6. Wilderer – SA’s first private grappa distillery established in 1995 infuses 27 local plants including wild dagga, honeybush, buchu and devil’s claw.
7. Jenever Montane – This unique gin combination has a bold flavour that gets the balance of spicey and fruity just right with a signature floral / rose-geranium flavour.