Rihanna’s recent Grammy set piece, which combined Art Deco touches and 1920s silhouettes in a simmering Miami palette of sea-blue-to-sunset-red gradients is the inspiration for this DECO aesthetic. Set the mood with palm tree prints, geometric forms, gold accents, crushed velvet and neon lights.
Back home in Cape Town, local jewellery designer Famke Koene has recently redone her concept store and studio on Buitenkant street. Designed by Atelier Adri, the store follows a strong art deco feel. We chatted to her about the space and how she’s settled into it a year later.
How have you enjoyed your first year and a bit in the new studio and concept store?
I have loved the first year (and a bit) of being open, it’s a great space to connect with my clients and the response to the space has been so rewarding!
What was your starting point for the space? Did you have an aesthetic in mind or did Adri take the lead?
I had an idea in mind and wanted to create a space that was different to what currently exists in Cape Town. Adri and her team took this idea further and executed a phenomenal space.
From where you started with the design, what do you think of the final result?
I LOVE it. The colours, bright light and all the plants just make for such a ‘feel good’ space
How does the iconic Memphis style work with Famke Jewellery and how does the space work day-to-day?
The Memphis style has always brought life to inanimate shapes. Generally seen as simple, but when combined in interesting ways they give life to a unique style and emotive feel. I feel the design elements in my range achieve the same things. The simplicity we use creates depth and complexity in the feelings we try to evoke in our customers.
Replicate the look at home with this shopping guide.
1. Crazy Palms by Franco Moz, Price on application, Robin Sprong,
2. Bert Frank Sedge Pendant, R8 692, Establishment
3. Double Dutch mirror, R8 500, Stay Evil Kids
4. Vase melted blue lip medium, R1 150, Cécile & Boyd
5. Antique Copper Plated Steel (Puzzle), R5 400, Egg Designs
6. Aura Table Mirror by New Works, R756 – R1 027, Establishment
7. Glass candlestick, R359, Zara Home
8. Eve Pineapple side table, R3 950, SHF
9. LANDS still life table, R53 300, Cassaredo
10. Tia Maria chair by Moroso, R24 126, True Design
11. Standing Planter, R299, Woolworths
12. Constantin Side Table by Cassina Simon Collezione, R57 925, True Design
13. Diapo dining table by René Bouchara, R43 920, Roche Bobois
Famke Concept store images courtesy of Gerda Genis – The Fotofactory.