The ELLE DECORATION SOLVE New Talent Search is back in association with Pick n Pay. This year, creatives are asked to turn their ideas for the perfect piece of green design into reality. The inspiration for the competition is straightforward: to incorporate natural elements in original design.
Design an innovative, multi-functional furniture piece that incorporates a plant or several plants. This can be anything from a modular system, an item of furniture or any other designed product, such as a room divider, kitchen garden or even coffee table, that incorporates greenery into the design (see images at the bottom of the page for inspiration). The overall design dimensions should not exceed one cubic metre (length x breadth x height). If the design, however, is part of a modular system then one component must not exceed this size, but the overall size would be larger when the components are assembled.
Judges will be looking for designs that are fresh, original, innovative, economically viable to manufacture and a clever interpretation of contemporary design. Sustainability is a key factor and an integral part of the design and manufacturing process.
WHO CAN ENTER
• Students in any design-related faculty
• Aspiring designers working in other fields who wish to break into the design industry
• Emerging designers
• Established professionals in any design-related field including – but not limited to – architecture, product, furniture and industrial design
HOW TO ENTER
• Entries must be in A3 format on card
• Your name, contact details and educational institution
(if you are a student) must be included on every page
• Include technical drawings showing details and measurements
• Include a high-quality rendering – either hand-drawn or computer generated. Finalists must provide 300dpi electronic files of their designs, so be sure to save a high-resolution image
• Include an inspiration board and concept sketches, plus a written summary of your design development
• Provide a rationale explaining how your design meets the brief
Submission deadline: 19 July 2013
Download brief here.
Apple MacBook Air 13 inch 128GB (value R12 999)
Mac Mini 2.5 GHz 500 GB (value R8 499)
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. You do not have to make a prototype at this stage of the competition.
2. No entries will be returned after the competition.
3. The five finalists will be interviewed by the judges.
4. The five finalists will need to make prototypes of their products which will
be photographed and published in ELLE DECORATION.
5. The winner and finalists must be willing to be interviewed by the media.
6. Finalists must make their entries available to be showcased at a leading
design expo in early 2014.
Send entries to Maryke van Lill, ELLE DECORATION, 105 Hatfield Street, Gardens, Cape Town, 8001.
Queries can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org