Summer is here and by now most of us have spent our fair share of time soaking up some much needed vitamin D. Unfortunately this is sometimes done at the expense of our skin and we have all been guilty on at least one occasion of not applying enough sunscreen…or worse – not at all. When this happens, applying after sun is essential to ease the burn and assist our skin in repairing itself.
This DIY after sun lotion is made using natural ingredients that are gentle on your skin and have a soothing effect. Whip up a batch of your own and apply it after a day of too much fun in the sun – your skin will feel instantly nourished!
organic unrefined shea butter
aloe vera gel
virgin avocado oil
1. Start by melting down the shea butter. This stuff is wicked for dry skin, providing it with the fatty acids and nutrients it needs for collagen production – win.
2. Use the same melting technique you’d use for chocolate – pop chunks of shea butter into a bowl and place above a saucepan of simmering water. Once the shea buter is liquid take it off the heat and leave to cool for 10mins. (optional- if you want to add coconut oil, add a teaspoon to the shea butter now.)
3. For the after sun base use equal amounts e45 cream to shea butter (you can use whatever moisturiser you like). Stir the melted shea butter into the moisturiser in stages so it doesn’t spilt. Once all the shea butter is incorporated, beat it well to whip it up.
4. Add in a couple of tablespoons of aloe vera gel and mix well. Aloe vera is awesome for soothing burnt skin and reducing inflammation (feel free to add more if you want!).
5. Add in a few tablespoons of avocado oil which is super nourishing for the skin.
6.Make small batches that last 1-2 weeks and keep in fridge so that it is cool when you apply it to your skin.
Recipe and images as seen on burkatron.com
WANT MORE SKINCARE PRODUCTS?
For More ELLE DECO Design Inspiration
The Summer Issue is all about new beginnings, rejuvenation and adventure. Consider it a celebration of both indulging in wanderlust and the sweetness of coming home. We discover the most spectacular design hotels around the world, show you a beautiful collection of outdoor furniture and décor, and tempt your tastebuds with a new indian tapas restaurant. Pick up your copy today and tell us what you think on Twitter @Elle_Deco using #SummerIssue.