Autumn may be knocking on our door ever so faintly but when the cooler weather really starts rolling in, you’ll want to whip up a batch of these sweet cinnamon scented apple almond muffins.
Gluten free and sweetened with apple sauce and dates, these muffins are a healthier alternative to the regular ones containing granulated sugar.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup almond flour/meal
- 2/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons corn or potato starch
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, more for sprinkling in the end
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 10 fresh Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 2/3 cup unsweetened fat-free plain yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce, divided
- 3 medium size apples, peeled and cored – divided
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin time lightly with oil spray and fill each cup with muffin liners.
- Place rolled oats in the bowl of a food processor and process until it is fine, 45-50 seconds. Add in the almond flour, buckwheat flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Pulse 6-7 times to make sure that they are completely mixed. Transfer the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Wipe the bowl of the food processor with a paper towel. Do not wash.
- Place the dates, yogurt, coconut oil, eggs, and 1/3 cup of the applesauce in the bowl of your food processor. Process until smooth, 40-50 seconds. You may have to stop the food processor and scrape the bottom of the bowl a few times to ensure that the dates are not sticking to each other.
- Gently fold in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Grate 2 of the apples and fold them (with their juices) into the batter. Slice the third apple thinly and set aside.
- Drop a heaping tablespoon of the muffin batter into each muffin tin. Divide the rest of the reserved applesauce amongst 12 muffin tins (each should be around 1-teaspoon applesauce). Cover each muffin tin with the rest of the batter.
- Top each muffin batter with 3 thin slices of apple like you see in the images. Gently press them down.
- Sprinkle each muffin with a little bit of cinnamon.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Let them cool for at least an hour before serving.
Recipe and images as seen on foolproofliving.com
WANT MORE RECIPES?
The 2017 Field Report is not about fleeting trends – its about quality and perfection, about bringing back traditional skills and craftsmanship. We speak to the visionaries, icons and experts who shape their unique, lasting and life-enhancing concepts for us to embrace through their designs, recipes, buildings and explorations. Pick up your copy today and tell us what you think on Twitter @Elle_Deco using #2017FieldReport.