Our Ideas Issue has just hit shelves and in it we’ve rounded up some of the leading local and international interior designers and got the lowdown on their tricks to spruce up a space.
We caught up with Nicole Davis, owner of Nicole Davis Interiors based in Orange County, California to find out how she takes a room from drab to fab…
If you could give us your top five decor ideas, what would they be?
- Go big. Large scale pieces will add so much interest to your space. I love using art, furniture, or lighting in a larger scale to add impact.
- Add a piece of art to every room. Hang it on the wall, lean it against the wall, layer it, whatever you like – but make sure you add art, always!
- Mix the old with the new. Go antique shopping. Don’t buy everything at once or all from the same store. Start a collection and add to it through the years.
- Comfort is still important. Make sure you have pieces that are nice and cozy. Comfortable pieces add a beautiful relaxed and inviting mood to any space.
- Don’t follow the rules. I don’t know any of the interior design “rules” and I think it helps my spaces feel unique and allows me to be artistic.
Describe yourself in one sentence
I love to create a space reflective of my client that is inviting, innovative and tells their story.
What inspires you?
Art history, nature, fashion and travel.
What are your favourite decor trends this year?
If you could work with one material, what would it be?
One tip to transform small rooms?
Be bold. It is easy to use a small room as a place to be playful with design. Use wallpaper, moody paint colors, or moulding treatments – and add art!
What is your favourite quote/mantra?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
– Leonardo DaVinci
Your favourite place to look for decor ideas?
Films, books, magazines.
Favourite decor read?
Domino and Elle Decoration of course!
Visit the website: nicoledavisinteriors.com
Follow her on Instagram: @nicoledavisinteriors
For More Design Inspiration
In our Big Ideas Issue we turn to some of the leading decor talents for the lowdown on how to spruce up a space. We also head to coastal Vancouver for the trip of a lifetime and uncover how to use wallpapers & textiles in the home. However you choose to make your home a sanctuary, always follow this one rule – your space is your playground; have fun! Pick up your copy today and tell us what you think on Twitter @Elle_Deco using #BigIdeasIssue.