We all dream of the perfect wedding and how exquisite it will be, but when the time comes, it can actually be an incredibly daunting and somewhat all-consuming task. These are the tricks to ensure that it is one of the most joyful days of your life.
First and foremost, you need to get your priorities straight… this is after all the day that you commit yourself to the partner you love for the rest of your life (no pressure.) It is ALSO a wonderful opportunity to flex your stylistic skills and have the most beautiful decor, flowers and of course dress et al.
There is however sometimes a little bit of a disconnect between your ideas and dreams… and your budget. But don’t let this discourage you! There are lots of clever tricks to make sure you still get the wedding of your dreams. This is our whirlwind guide of things to consider…
A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.
If it’s an option, hire a wedding planner. Even if you are very organised and have a good idea of what you want and how you want to achieve it, get someone to help you make sure everything runs smoothly before and on the day, so you can truly enjoy yourself.
The trick here is the venue. The better looking the venue, the easier everything is. This doesn’t necessarily mean grand– it can be a beautiful open field, or a charming old barn, a fun restaurant, a stately wine farm or wedding venue of course.
Once you have the venue, you then need to choose a general look and feel, or theme.Whether you are keen for rustic, quirky or grand… you then need a colour palette. Once you have decided this, all your other decisions become a little easier.
Cost Saving Tips
- Borrow items from friends who have already had beautiful weddings.
- Remember less is often more, so rather than buying lots of smaller decor items, opt for a fewer statement pieces. Concentrate your decor in specific areas instead of spreading it all over
- Also, perhaps try avoid Summer and Saturdays when picking your date. Why not have your wedding on an Autumn Friday, or even a Sunday afternoon– venues are often much cheaper when out of peak periods.
Where to splurge: Photography and videography
Don’t underestimate the importance of a great wedding photographer and videographer. It is a hard job, and there is NOTHING worse than getting your pictures back and being disappointed. Spending a little extra here is never a waste.
TOP TIP: Don’t do it all yourself. Your friends and family will be more than happy to get involved, so learn to delegate, so that you aren’t stressed out of your mind on the day.
Stay calm! Stay positive and keep the big picture in mind. This is not heart surgery, it’s a celebration.
Facts, Traditions and superstitions
- Queen Victoria started the white wedding dress trend in 1840, before this brides just wore their best dress.
- Engagement and wedding rings are worn on the fourth finger of the left hand because it was once thought that a vein in that finger led directly to the heart.
- Ancient Greeks and Romans thought the veil protected the bride from evil spirits, so brides have worn veils ever since.
- Rain on your wedding day is actually considered good luck!
- In the symbolic language of jewels, a sapphire in a wedding ring means marital happiness.
- The ‘something blue’ in a bridal ensemble symbolises purity, fidelity, and love.