We’re sure you will agree, that the absolute ultimate luxury is to retreat to a beautifully designed bathroom sanctuary. In the latest #GreenIssue, the DECO Lab section focuses on the very best in bathroom inspiration, advice and shopping. Your home spa should be fresh and fragrant with tiles, tubs and taps that shine.
No longer a purely utilitarian space, today’s bathroom is the home’s hub of refreshment and luxurious relaxation. Trends in this space are indulgent in form but conservative in function. You need to place just as much importance on the design of your bathroom as you would your kitchen or living rooms. Consider both your physical and spiritual needs when designing this sanctuary space, as while it is a very hardworking room in the home, it also a place to rest and rejuvenate.
Need a few pointers on where to start? These are DECO’s top bathrooms design tips and tricks.
- Tap into the restorative benefits and colours of water and greenery.
- Don’t forgo style when conserving water; opt for low flow show heads that save water.
- Keep it crisp and if there is any doubt, always opt for white. It’s a winning formula.
- Choose durable flooring and good quality surfaces. Ceramic, marble and stone tiles are all durable and water-resistant choices.
For marriage to be a success, every woman and every man should have her and his own bathroom. The end. – Catherine Zeta-Jones
Good lighting is crucial. The most critical area for bathroom lighting is the mirror, as this is where you will apply all your lotions and potions, and your war paint for the day. Mount lights at each side of the mirror at about eye level, with a third light above the mirror. This configuration will light your face from both sides and above, reducing shadows.
- Welcome a little luxury into the bathroom, creating a spa-like space that makes you feel pampered and restored. You can go all out, including a TV, fireplace and even a sumptuous occasional chair.
- A new bath mat and towels are a quick, easy and affordable way to update the bathroom.
- Always keep your tile grouting immaculate with a good scrub.
- Got a small bathroom? Choose a floating vanity, which creates the illusion of space.
- Tidying up and hiding all your cosmetics is the easiest and cheapest way to update your bathroom. Throw away everything you aren’t using, and conceal other everyday items in drawers and cupboards.
Expert Opinion: Joanne Sykes, Sales and Marketing Director of Cemcrete
Top 3 things to consider when kitting out your bathroom?
Aesthetics (the look and feel of the space)
Longevity (opt for long-lasting and timeless finishes
Maintenance (nobody likes mildew)
Looking for more bathroom design advice?
In the ELLE Decoration Style Directory, we share our favourite bathroom decor experts who should be on your speed dial.
The Green Issue edition of ELLE Decoration South Africa is on the shelf of your nearest magazine retailer now. Packed with sustainably stylish interiors, it’s full of all your favourite features and decor tips plus the green spaces of Patrizia Moroso and Pietro Russo. Pick up your copy today – across South Africa wherever magazines are sold – and tell us what you think on Twitter @ELLE_Deco, sharing your #GreenIssue #DECOselfie.