Winter is here, its cold outside and breakfast in bed has never sounded better. Cuddle up, stay in and enjoy a relaxing morning lounging around the house with a pot of coffee brewing on the stove and the kitchen filling up with the smell of bacon and eggs.
All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast.
– John Gunther
The early bird gets the worm! Wake up early and whip up something scrumptious for your better half this weekend. Who doesn’t love a gourmet croissant or a berrylicious pancake stack oozing with sweet syrup? Or perhaps savoury is your thing? How about acCroissant with egg, rocket and chestnut mushrooms?
We cannot emphasise the importance of taking some time out for yourself. We all need to prioritise slowing down, getting perspective and resting a bit more.
We can highly recommend that you snuggle up with a good book as the sun finds it way through your window, and treat yourself to a sumptuous breakfast in bed.
Breakfast Croissant with Egg, Rocket & Chestnut Mushrooms
- salad leaves, rocket salad and baby beetroot leaves
- handful of chestnut mushrooms
- small knob of butter
- few pinches of fresh thyme
- a little bit of oil
- two eggs with the brightest yolk in town
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Melt butter in a pan, add mushrooms and thyme and then sauté for a few minutes.
- Cut the croissant into two halves and place into the oven for a couple of minutes to warm up.
- Fry the eggs sunny side up with a little oil. Assemble by placing salad leaves on warmed croissant halves and then top with mushroom and eggs.
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blackberry Syrup
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 lemons (juiced)
- 2/3 cup skimmed milk ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- cooking spray for pan
For Blackberry Syrup:
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine eggs, milk, buttermilk, lemon juice and ricotta cheese.
- Add the wet mix to the dry mix and whisk until batter is even.
- Heat a griddle or skillet on medium heat and spray pan with cooking spray.
- Take about 1/2 cup of batter and add to pan. Cook the pancake for 1-1 1/2 minutes.
- After pancake is done on one side flip to the other side to cook.
- Repeat until pancakes are done and serve hot with butter.
- Add blackberries to a hot skillet with lemon juice, sugar, and water.
- Cook berries down to juice for 7-10 minutes and serve over pancakes.
Keen to find out more about the art of slowing down? You should read more from Carl Honore, a journalist who believes the Western world’s emphasis on speed erodes health, productivity and quality of life. Also, watch travel writer Pico Iyer‘s view’s on The art of stillness.
Our Ideas Issue is on shelf now and packed with achievable ideas and solutions for updating your home, it’s a keeper! We give you the freshest advice and inspiration for updating your kitchen, making breakfast for champions, and round up the sexiest fabrics for 2016. Pick up your copy today and tell us what you think on Twitter @Elle_Deco, sharing your #IdeasIssue #DecoSelfie