Having friends over? Make it a delicious affair by knowing your cheese and wine pairings for the best experience. Think hard and soft cheese, a good wine selection, fresh and preserved condiments and vegetables.
Choose your cheese
Apart from it being the most important items on your board, make sure you have the right flavours, textures and colours. Real Simple dishes on what to have and how to make the best selection. Look for the following next time you’re browsing the dairy aisle at the shop:
Aged Aged Cheddar, Comte, Goat Gouda
Soft Constant Bliss, Camembert, Brillat-Savarin
Firm Manchego, Mimolette, Parmigiano-Reggiano
Blue Gorgonzola Dolce, Valdeón, Stilton
A typical cheese board usually has five kinds of cheeses with a variety of textures, tastes and appearances. You can plan your cheese board around countries or around different milks – goat, cow or sheep.
– Wedding Chicks
Combine your meat, cheese and wine
- Cheeses are often best served at room temperature. Take your cheeses out of the refrigerator an hour before serving, this gives it time to soften.
- Keep the cheeses in their separate wrappers and remove just before serving, preventing them from drying out.
- Separate strong-smelling cheeses.
- Place the harder cheeses at the end of your board, make sure there is enough space between the hard and soft cheeses.
- Offer a selection of breads, from crackers and breadsticks to sliced baguette. The more shapes and textures, the better.
- Go crazy with condiments: spreads, creams, fruit like strawberries, figs or peaches, preserves, vegetables, different cottage cheese, honey, spicy mustards, a selection of meats and nuts.
Create your own from our selection of cheese boards:
- Weylandts, R595 2. Mr. Price Home, R199.99 3. Woolworths, R449 4. Laid Back Co. Price on request 5. Woolworths, R525
Then you may want to read Art In A Glass and Fig Leaf Imprinted Goats Cheese With Rose And Honey Drizzle
The Winter Issue is all about de-cluttering, de-teching and slowing everything down. Packed with inspiration and ideas for making your home a sanctuary, we share the ultimate comfort food recipes, master the art of nesting and take you on a tour of the dreamiest hideaways. Pick up your copy today and tell us what you think on Twitter @Elle_Deco using #WinterIssue.