It’s just a few more days until 100 Design South Africa kicks off and with it being the largest curated exhibition platform for contemporary design in Africa, it promises to be a dynamic showcase with a exciting new additions for 2017.
“Visitors to this year’s 100% Design South Africa can expect no less than wall-to-wall proof of the artistic and aesthetic genius of their fellow South Africans – the sort of genius that’s helped make our country as gorgeous as it is”, says international design authority and Programme Director of 100% Design South Africa, Cathy O’Clery.
This year’s program boasts a variety of displays across the mediums of interior, textiles and furniture with expansive exhibition areas, a dedicated office zone and a selection of curated winning works by PPC Imaginarium. The focus is on creativity and ingenuity and the lineup is exactly that.
- The Feature Designer for 2017 is award- winning furniture designer Gregor Jenkin. Jenkin is no stranger the art world having collaborated with William Kentridge and being the top seller at the Conran shop in London, his exhibition of new works is a must see.
- The popular socializing hub and eating spot 100% Design Café featuring David Krynauw’s woodwork.
- Local and international fabrics from Fabric and Wallpaper Gallery.
- Brought together by Source interior Brand architects and Source IBA, 100% Hotel is all about presenting the modern African hotel.
- A multi-sensory experience called The Light Tank combines the work of designer Goddy Roodt, cinematographer Izelle van Zyl, contemporary artist, Matty Roodt, structural designer Leon Roodt of Ergoform, visual effects artist Lloyd Wilgen, and composer Deon van Heerden.
- As an extension of We Are Cape Town, We Are Joburg will showcase a new breed of design collaborators and collectives shaping Johannesburg’s urban design scene.
- Young Gauteng spotlights 10 emerging designers whose work embodies the nuanced perspectives art takes on in shaping the future landscape of South Africa.
- Challenging the boundaries of design will be the Caesersone Concepts which is a collaboration between Dokter and Misses, Chris and Anna Weylandt of Weylandts, and Gregor Jenkin Studio.
- The South African Mint, commissioned five local designers to create pieces inspired by the Kruger Rand to celebrate its 50th anniversary. It features works by Blandat, Pichulik, Okapi and Thabo Makhetha and more.
- 100% Talent is specifically aimed at introducing works by emerging local designers including Pure Line Interior Design, Kino, Notation Design, Natasha van Niekerk Fine Art Photography, Gold Bottom but to name a few.
In addition to the above mentioned features, the showcase boasts over 130 individual exhibition stands and large pavilions. This promises to be a sensory feast for art, design and furniture collectors and appreciators.
Here are key dates to be aware of:
9 August – Consumer and trade
10 August – Trade only
11 August – Trade only
12 August – Consumer and trade
13 August – Consumer and trade
Opening times: 10am – 6pm
Ticket prices: R120 for adults; R100 for pensioners and scholars; R20 for kids under 12; R80 for trade and exhibitors
Venue: Gallagher Convention Centre, Midrand, Gauteng
To find out more, visit 100percentdesign.co.za.