Johannesburg’s inner city has seen some creative and exciting changes recently, requiring locals and visitors alike to re-acquaint themselves with the urban centre. If you haven’t kept up or aren’t too sure where to start your exploring, the inaugural Joburg City festival from 25 – 31 August is the perfect opportunity to find out just what Jozi has to offer.
Organised by the Joburg City Tourism Association and its partners the Gautrain, Joburg Development Agency and SAB World of Beer, the week long festival will celebrate the city’s society, culture and hottest new venues and attractions. Take your pick from an exciting program packed with events to suit a variety of tastes. Here are just a few of the highlights…
Throughout the festival many local restaurants will be running specials and tastings.
You can also choose from a selection of art exhibitions, tours and film screenings during the week. 12 Decades, Joburg’s art hotel will be opening it’s History of Maboneng Digital Photography exhibition while the Constitution Hill Visitor’s Centre will host an art exhibition entitled ‘Come Inside’.
Apart from many smaller events, some of the major programme highlights are listed here (many of these events are scheduled daily to check out the detailed programme to plan your own festival itinerary.
Monday 26 August (see detailed programme):
- Magical Monday Fashion Show &Zanendaba Storytellers at the Fashion Kapitol, Fashion District
- Open-air documentary film-screening at Urban Fox, Maboneng
- Serial Monogamy at POPArt Theatre, Maboneng
Tuesday 27 August (see detailed programme):
- Champagne and cupcake shopping at 1886 Boutique, Maboneng
- Back, neck and shoulder massage special at the Pyramid Day Spa, City South
- ‘Come Inside’ Exhibition Walk About by ReshmaChhiba at Women’s Jail, Constitution Hill
- Planet Lindela at Fox Street, Maboneng
Wednesday 28 August (see detailed programme):
- Tapas in the City at Turbine Hall, Newtown
- JoburgPlaces Apprentice Penthouse food & wine experience, Historic Core
Thursday 29 August (see detailed programme):
- Free entrance to ABSA Money Museum, ABSA Campus
- Happy Hour Jazz at New World Café, Corporate Mining District
- Open-air documentary film screening at Urban Fox, Maboneng
Friday 30 August (see detailed programme):
- ‘ShisaNyamaFraidey’ at Goldmine Café, Reef Hotel, Corporate Mining District
- Freaky Friday Fashion Show & Zulu Cultural Group at Fashion Kapitol, Fashion District
- Collective Fashion Show, Kruger Street, Maboneng
- ‘Turf War’ Barista Competition at Cramers Coffee, Corporate Mining District
- Underground Dinner at Turbine Hall (The Forum Company), Newtown
- Critical Mass cycling through the city
- Zen night club at Maboneng
Saturday 31 August (see detailed programme):
- Joburg Antiques Roadshow at 1886 Boutique Joburg, Maboneng
- First Atlas Studios Film Festival, Millpark
- Tastes of Maboneng
- Oyama Models Fashion Show at Rand Club, Corporate Mining District
- Jittery Citizens Live Comedy Improvisation at POPArt Theatre, Maboneng
A whole gamut of tour operators will offer a variety of walking and driving tours during the Joburg City Festival. Choose from:
For the full festival program, visit www.joburgcity.net and start planning your urban exploring.