Friends, it is time for el fresco dining. It is time enjoy long, lazy lunches outside with
good food, good wine and and good people.
Invite your friends over this weekend and wow them with this fancy cheese roll that is actually remarkably easy to make.
Roasted Nuts, Chevin & Cream Cheese slices
Makes 20 slices
50g pine nuts
100g pecan nuts
100g flaked almonds
500g cream cheese
100g chevin cheese (goat’s milk cheese)
30g fennel, chopped
- Roast the nuts in a pan until golden brown.
- Combine the cream cheese, chevin and fennel.
- Add the roasted nuts to the cheese mixture.
- Scoop the mixture out on a 40x40cm square wax paper and shape it into a log, using your hands.
- Roll the wax paper over the log (like you would roll sushi in seaweed).
- Chill in the fridge for 3-5 hours.
- Cut into 2cm slices and remove wax paper from individual slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and olive oil and serve with warm, slightly toasted ciabatta and micro herbs.
The perfect wine to pair with this is the
CEDERBERG SAUVIGNON BLANC 2010
available from Wine Concepts.
A crisp wine with notes of green figs, white asparagus and hints of gooseberry on the nose. These vines grow above the snowline and shows true Cederberg colours with a trademark flinty finish. A cooler climate allows for this wine to age, with an optimum 3 years of cellaring. Expect the flintiness and minerality to intensify with age.“2010’s Sauvignon is for me definitely one of the best Sauvignons I have made in the last twelve years” David, the winemaker.
Recipe and Production by llana Swanepoel