We’re celebrating Heritage Day on the 24th of September, also known as National Braai Day. A day where all South Africans gather and celebrate the cultures of this beautiful country in the spirit of Ubuntu. We have a lip-smacking menu for your braai prepared by Siba Mtongana.
Harissa Baby Potatoes
- 1 kg baby potatoes, parboiled
- 250 g smoked streaky bacon
- 1 Tbs smoked paprika
- 3 Tbs harissa paste
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Handful parsley, roughly chopped
For your own harissa paste:
- 3 red chillies
- 1 red pepper, roasted and skin removed
- 6 garlic cloves
- 30 g piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Handful of fresh coriander
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 Tbs olive oil
For the harissa paste, blitz together all ingredients, except olive oil. Add the oil in a steady stream until well combined and ingredients become paste-like.
Heat the parboiled potatoes in a pan to steam dry and get rid of excess water. In another pan or on your braai, fry the bacon until almost crisp, add paprika and allow to cook for a minute.
Add your harissa paste and potatoes to the bacon and season to taste.
Remove from heat, add the fresh parsley, drizzle with olive oil and pack in a foil parcel. Place the parcel on the coals to cook for about 20 minutes.
Ginger Infused Chakalaka
- 400 g baked beans
- 3 Tbs oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 50 g fresh ginger, grated
- 2 green bird’s eye chillies, deseeded
- 2 Tbs mild curry powder
- 1 green, 1 yellow and 1 red pepper, sliced
- 5 large carrots, grated
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
Fry the onion, add garlic, chillies, 25g ginger and curry powder. Add array of peppers and allow to cook for 2 minutes. Add carrots, tomato paste and tomatoes let cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add baked beans, thyme and remaining ginger. Serve hot or cold.
Grilled Pineapple Salad
- 1 pineapple, cut into wedges
- wooden skewers, soaked in water
- 3 Tbs honey
- 80 g wild rocket
- 12 big strawberries
- 8 strawberries, puréed
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar reduction
- 4 Tbs olive oil
Skewer the pineapple chunks and brush with warmed honey. Grill the skewers over the fire or in a hot griddle pan until slightly charred. Allow to cool.
Whisk together dressing ingredients until combined.
Arrange rocket and strawberries on a platter and place the pineapple skewers on top and pour over balsamic dressing before serving.
Whole Chicken with Asian-Inspired Marinade
- 1 whole chicken (or chicken braai pack)
- 100 ml sweet soy sauce
- 100 g sticky dark brown sugar
- 60 ml olive oil
- 60 g fresh ginger, peeled and roughly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 tsp tomato paste
- 250 ml warm water
- Juice and grated rind of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbs fresh thyme, stems removed
- 1 Tbs fresh sage, chopped
- 1 whole red bird’s eye chilli, cut small slit lengthways
For the marinade, place the soy sauce, sugar, oil, ginger, garlic and tomato paste in a food processor, blitz to form paste.
Add water and combine. Pour the mixture into a pan on the stove and allow to simmer until thickened and slightly reduced. Remove from heat.
Pour cooled marinade over the chicken and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Grill the chicken on the fire, brushing with more marinade every couple of minutes until juices running from the thickest part of meat run clean.
Grilled Sweet Corn with Smokey Spice Rub
- sweet corn on the cob, parboiled
- salted butter/olive oil
- 2 Tbs smoked Maldon salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbs chilli flakes
- 2 Tbs dried mixed herbs
- 2 Tbs smoked paprika
Braai until charred. To serve, brush with butter and sprinkle with spice mix.
Grilled Halloumi Salad
- 340 g halloumi cheese, rinsed and sliced
- 250 g baby marrows, sliced
- 100 g mini rosa tomatoes
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- coarse sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water
- 180 g watercress
- 2 Tbs mint leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 Tbs non-pareil capers
- 4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1/2 lime
Skewer halloumi, tomatoes and baby marrow as preferred and grill on flames until charred. Season with chilli flakes, salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Arrange on dish with watercress. Combine all dressing ingredients and serve on the side.
Send us pics of your Braai Day meals, we’d love to seem them @ELLE_Deco and @elle_deco.